If you don't see your question here, please email us or call 425-890-0000.
We're here to help!
What is required before I can enroll in a
"new driver" training program?
- Be 15 years old by the date of the first class
- Have parent or legal guardian consent if under 18
What is a permit waiver?
The state Department of Licensing allows you to receive an instructional driving permit at age 15-1/2 if you pass the written exam.
HOWEVER, if you are enrolled at a driving school, you can receive the permit on your 15th birthday. The driving school will electronically authorize a "permit waiver" for you in the Department of Licensing's computer system. This permit waiver exempts you from taking the knowledge test to get your permit (you still have to pass the knowledge test before getting your license, however).
The state only allows you to use the permit waiver within 10 days of the start of the driving school class you enrolled in.
What do I need to do at the Department of
Before the first class, you will need to go do the Department of Licensing to get your learner's permit.
I-5 Driving School will provide your permit waiver electronically. When you register with us, we will provide you with all the details on how to get your permit waiver.
Here's what to bring to the DOL:
- Parent or guardian
- Original birth certificate or passport
- Social Security number (card not required)
- Glasses or contact lenses, if you wear them, for the vision test
- $25 in cash or check for the permit
You won't have to take a written test to get the permit if you are registered with us, but you will need to take the vision test.
You can find a DOL location (and wait times) at the following website: https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dsdoffices/
What does it take to complete the
driver training program?
To receive the Traffic Safety Education Certificate of Completion, you must:
- Attend 15 classroom sessions (2 hours each)
- Attend at least six 1-hour behind-the-wheel driving sessions
- Attend one behind-the-wheel observation session (1 hour)
- Receive a passing score of 80% or better on the final written exam
- Receive a passing score of at least 80 on the final drive test
For more information, call us at 425-890-0000
I-5 Driving School
Mailing address: PO Box 1482, Maple Valley, WA 98038
Physical address: 26207 Maple Valley Hwy, Suite D, Maple Valley 98038