WA Written & Drive Tests
We offer both the official written & drive tests for Washington State at our Auburn and Maple Valley locations. Take your test today!
Call us at 425-890-0000 to make an appointment!
We offer appointments for state testing between 9am and 8pm, Monday thru Saturday (closed Sunday).
If you don't see your question here, please email us or call us at
425-890-0000. We're here to help you!
How much does it cost?
In Auburn or Maple Valley:
- $25 to take the written test
- $35 to take the drive test (in your car)
- $50 to take the drive test (in our car)
Worried about passing the driving test?
Consider our Warmup Bundle. Just $80 for 1/2 hour practice with our instructor in our car, followed by the state drive test. This bundle includes the guided practice, use of our car, and the actual drive test.
This is a great option if you have not attended a driving school, and want to brush up on the skills you'll need to pass the state driving test.
When can I take the tests?
At both locations, we offer times by appointment only, but there are plenty of available times. Generally, you can test with us in as little as an hour from the time you call (425-890-0000).
* Drop-in for written test, 10am to 4pm Mon-Fri, Sat by appointment
* Driving test by appointment
Maple Valley Location:
* Written test and Driving test is available by appointment only.
Where are you located?
We have two locations that offer testing:
1525 A St NE, Suite 105
Auburn, WA 98002
(Next to Las Margaritas, Park & Ride Lot)
Click here for Google Maps directions
22035 SE Wax Rd, Suite 20
Maple Valley, WA 98038
(Next to the post office & Taco Time)
Click here for Google Maps directions
What is required to take the written test?
- Be at least 15 years old
- Have a WA permit, or a state ID number issued by the state DOL
- If you don't have one, get it here
What is required to take the driving test?
- Have succesfully passed the written test, 80% or higher
- Have a vehicle to use, plus valid auto insurance (bring proof)
- Have a WA permit, or a reference ID issued by the state DOL
If you do not have a Washington driver's permit or a valid license from another country, we can issue you a temporary authorization to drive.
Your vehicle must be in good working order, including:
- The brakes and all 3 brake lights
- Turn signals
- Seat belts
- Passenger door
- No cracks on the windshield
- Valid tabs
- Driver door window (so you can use hand signals)
- Windshield wipers, headlights, and defrosters if weather requires
- Mirrors - Outside left and rearview, or two outside mirrors
What should I expect for the tests?
The written test consists of 25 multiple-choice questions on two pieces of paper, and has taken most of our students about 15 minutes to complete. You'll need to read the driver's guide several times to get comfortable with the test questions. Get the PDF Driver's Guide here.
The driving test measures your ability to drive legally and safely. An examiner will ride with you to evaluate your driving to see that you maintain control of your car and obey the rules of the road. The examiner won’t try to confuse you, trick you, or ask you to do anything illegal. Your driving will be scored during the entire test.
Here are some helpful videos that cover the driving test:
(you can also view them on our site here)
Lane Change and Turning
We will also cover things like proper use of turn signals, yielding the right-of-way when required, parking on a hill (remember which way to turn your wheels!), turning into the correct lane, scanning intersections, stopping correctly, proper speed and following distance.
How is my score recorded?
We enter your score into the DOL computer system immediately after your test completion. The score will be visible at all DOL locations within 1 minute or less after the score is entered.
What happens if I don't pass the test?
* For the written exam, we offer one make-up test at no extra charge.
* For the driving exam, you would need to pay for an additional test, but
we'll also review the previous one with you, and help you learn how to pass the next one!
For more info or to set an appointment,
call us at 425-890-0000